Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Meet ... Kristie Haigwood

Timed perfectly to coincide with the release on
15 February of her new book Hells Gift the sequel to Save My Soul, I am pleased to Welcome Kristie Haigwood to Pinky's Favorite Reads


Where are you from originally?  

I was born in Alabama, US, but I was raised and still live in Arkansas, US.

Tell us your latest news?

Wow! My latest news is my fourth novel, Hell's Gift, will be releasing 15 February 2013. It's the sequel to my first, Save My Soul. I'm pretty excited about this one. Well, I get excited about all of them, but this one feels different. It's my best and favorite so far.

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why?

J. R. Ward. I didn't even have to think about that one. She was my inspiration to start writing.

What are your current projects?

I have the second and third book of my Eternal Series, co-authored with Ella Medler, in the works, as well as a young adult piece about fallen angels. I plan to write the 3rd book in the Save My Soul series and publish all of these this year.

What books or authors have influenced your writing?

As mentioned above, J. R. Ward, but there are so many Indie(independent) authors that inspire me to keep moving forward in my writing career. We are actually in a totally different league of our own in writing. We have no rules, no laws, nothing holding us to, well, any thing. We are free, and the sky is the limit. We don't have to wait a year or more after finishing a novel to publish. We do what is necessary and get it out there to our fans. It's not a job to us, nor is it a hobby; writing is our passion, it's our life, and we would be nothing without it. Sorry, I think I took that way off the grid there. I hope I at least answered the question. LOL

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

Yes, there are many, and they are all Indie authors: Ella Medler, Trish Marie Dawson, Tara Stogner Wood, Patti Roberts, Miranda Stork, Lindsay Avalon, Caroline Levy. There are hundreds more; I'm serious, and I could name them all, but I'm sure you get the idea. I love being an Indie author, because we are a family. There is something very special and unique about each and every one of us.

What book are you reading now and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

'RAPTURE' - Book 3 in 'The Fallen Angel Series' by J. R. Ward

Tell us a little about your background. When did you start writing?

I've been an avid reader of fiction since I learned to read. I also had a very vivid imagination as a child and loved to daydream. I talked to myself a lot. I also answered myself. No, I'm not crazy. There have been hundreds of stories in my head, just waiting to get out, since I was a child. Realizing that was the hard part. It actually never occurred to me to actually write a novel until June of 2010. That was a little over two years ago and I am writing my 8th novel now. The stories want to be told.

Where do you get your ideas?

They just come to me. I sit down at my laptop and don't even think about what I'm writing. I can't think about what I want to happen or I will get writer's block. If I try to force something to happen, it won't happen. My characters know how the story starts and ends. I'm just the person lucky enough to be the one they chose to write them. Again, no, I'm not crazy.

Do you write full-time now?

I care for my grandmother with Alzheimer's Disease and my mother with renal failure 5 days a week. Doing that allows me to write on a full-time basis.

Can you tell us a little bit about Hell's Gift?

Here's the blurb: Depression consumes the guardian angel, Rhyan, after his human charge chooses her soulmate over him. Filled with anger and despair, he lashes out. And when his hate-filled words land him neck-deep in Hell, he realizes he's gone too far. He expects trouble, but not to discover his own soulmate in the fiery depths. Abigail is there with good reason, but she's done her time, and in order to save them both, Rhyan must strike a deal with the Devil. The stakes are higher than ever before, with his soul, his friends and even the fate of Heaven and Earth in jeopardy. If he fails, Rhyan stands to lose more than he ever feared. Will true love be denied? It will take everything he's got to break down the traps Lucifer puts in his way. New lines are drawn and old scores are settled, and Rhyan is in for the fight of his life. With Abigail as the prize, and humanity in the balance, he will stop at nothing to claim...Hell's Gift.
 

How long did it take you to complete?

Eternal Island, Eternal Immortality & Eternal Inception (vampires & witches) each took me 3 months to complete. Save My Soul (guardian angels/demons) took me 21 days. Forbidden Touch (vampires) took me 28 days. And Hell's Gift (guardian angels/demons) took me 5 months. Hell's Gift was a tough one, but it is my best and favorite so far.

Are any of your characters based on real-life friends or acquaintances?

No. I could never put someone in one of my books and listen to them complain about how 'their' character isn't exactly how they think I should write them. Most people don't want to hear the truth about themselves or how someone else sees them. So, if I did put someone in my book that I knew, I would have to make them sound better than they actually are. Real people are not super heroes, no matter how much we wish it so.

Do you ever incorporate yourself into your characters?

I am in every single one of my characters. Given, I'm no super hero, either, but there is a part of my personality in all of my characters. It's how they seem so real.

Tell us about your cover. Did you design it yourself?
 
Patti Roberts designed my cover. I have a hand in what I want and she makes it happen.
 
Where did you get the inspiration for your cover?

From the story. I picked a guy that I thought looked as much like the Rhyan in my head as I could find, then I wanted a background that portrayed the idea of good VS. evil, Heaven and Hell. I found the background in DeviantArt, designed by a girl from Poland.

Does your reading inspire you and your work?

Absolutely! Reading keeps me in what I call 'Fiction Land'. I like to stay there. I would pack my bags and move there forever if there was actually such a place. Instead, I must create it in my mind. Reading opens the mind to new and different possibilities.

Where can we find you online?

 

Save My Soul

Kristie has also made her first book in this series Save My Soul free on Amazon until Thurdsay so if you haven't already grabbed your copy get it now !!




US: http://www.amazon.com/Save-My-Soul-ebook/dp/B007LB76A8/ref=ntt_at_ep_edition_2_1
UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Save-My-Soul-ebook/dp/B007LB76A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1351876380&sr=1-1
CA: http://www.amazon.ca/Save-My-Soul-ebook/dp/B007LB76A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1360590682&sr=1-1




Check back on Friday 15 February for links for where to buy your very own copy of Hells Gift !

3 comments:

  1. Woo hoo!!! That was a blast! Thanks for having me, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is by far your best book, Kristie. It will go far, if there's any justice in this world! :)
    Ella

    ReplyDelete