Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Disciple

Author: Simon Hay
Published: 15 February 2013
Genre: Biography
Pinky's Rating (out of 5): 5 dragonflies

Book Description
The Disciple is a compelling biography about Jesus' birth, childhood and death. Simon Hay, after a life-altering encounter with spirit, revisits and remembers his past life as the disciple, Judas, and his role in Jesus' life. Simon's story will amaze and challenge 2,000 years of belief.

My Thoughts
This book encompasses areas of both Simon's life, as well as his 'trancing's' with spirit, and it is through these 'trances' that we learn about the real Jesus.
 
As a person who was brought up first attending Sunday School and then Church Services, I always felt that the story of Jesus, as told to us by ministers and through readings in the Bible, was a good story. But that is all I thought it was, a story. It wasn't until I got to the following paragraph in Simon's book, that I realised the full meaning of what I had always thought.
 
"From Jesus, I know he did not come to be the catalyst to start the catholic faith. He had no intention to build churches or any house of worship. He did not want priests to spread His words. He did not want his Father's message translated in a book. He came as an example of how to live, how to love, and how to forgive."
 
How profound these words are.

 
I quickly realised that yes, what the religious scholars wish us to believe, is not actually the complete truth. The Bible does not fully convey the human nature of Jesus, Joseph and Mary, as well as the other Disciples. To me it wasn't until I started reading The Disciple that I came to realise these people were in fact, not that dissimilar to us. They laughed, they cried, they felt pain, both physically and emotionally when they were hurt or somebody in their life died.
 
Yes there are going to be some who read this review and think "Well that's a load of codswallop". But before you tune out completely, take a chance and pick up this book and read it, keep an open mind and be open to new thoughts and ideas. You never know, you might just realise that what you always thought to be true may not entirely be.
 
In the coming weeks, I will be posting an Interview with the truly wonderful Simon Hay so stay tuned !
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon :) Thanks for posting your review. Love & blessings, Simon.

    ReplyDelete