Saturday, October 26, 2013

Author Interview - Gladys Quintal

After reading Life After Hell you certainly get a feeling that the author Gladys Quintal is one tough lady, so I sat down and asked her a few questions to find out..
 
Hi Gladys, thanks for joining me today at Pinky’s Favorite Reads, lets get started.

Where are you from originally?

I was born and bred in New Zealand, but moved to Western Australia in 2007.

Tell us your latest news?

I recently found out that my stepfather is appealing his 7yr sentence. I am waiting to hear the outcome of that and praying that his appeal is unsuccessful.

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why?

I think I would like to have a dinner party with Trevor Munson and some of my other Moonlight friends. Trevor wrote the book Angel of Vengeance that ended up being Moonlight – my all time favourite Vampire TV show.

What are your current projects?

Book 4 in The Dream Series (Succubus: An Erotic Companion) is currently being edited and will be released on December 1st. There will be a release party for it on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/731931040156813
 
I have also starting writing Book 5 – I haven’t decided if this will be the last book in the series yet or not.

What books or authors have influenced your writing?

I think the first and biggest influence was James Herbert. I read The Fog when I was around 14 and I love the way James draws you into the story. I have read almost every book he has ever written. Sadly he died recently L
 
I also love Diana Gabaldon who gave us the wonderful Jamie Fraser and Jeff Lindsay and Dexter. I fell in love with Jamie Fraser instantly – as I am sure most woman that have read the Outlander books have. I love Dexter – Dexter is my hero!
 
Yes, I must say, I am also a HUGE fan of both the Outlander books and Dexter!

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I think out of all my favourite authors, the one I would like to meet most is Trevor Munson. I have gotten to know him quite well on Facebook and would love to meet him outside of Facebook.

What book are you reading now and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?

I am currently reading two books: A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, in paperback and Candy’s Man by Jeanette Hornby (an Aussie author friend of mine) on my kindle.

Life After Hell was obviously written to help the healing process, did you ever think that maybe it wouldn’t ever be finished?

To be honest, when I first started writing my journal form of the book, I never in a million years thought that I would be able to get my stepfather convicted. It was nice to be able to give it a happy ending.

Tell us a little bit about your Dream Series Books?

At the age of 13, Cassandra is sexually abused by her stepfather (I used a lot of my own experiences in the first book). She is rescued by a vigilante vampire who kills rapists and child molesters. At the age of 17, her parents die in a car accident that she miraculously survives from and shortly after, begins to have dreams about a dark-haired man. I used to dream about a dark-haired man when I was younger and so incorporated that into the book as well – which is also where the title originated from.

Are any of your characters in you Dream Series Books based on real-life friends or acquaintances?

Most of them, it seems! Cassie is based on me in the beginning.  Alexi is a mixture of Mick St John, Dexter and my partner Barry. Nana, Hayley and Moyra are all good friends of mine. Chloe is based on my daughter Emma and Elizabeth is Elizabeth Bathory (the infamous serial killer of the 1600’s who murdered an estimated 600 young women).

Do you ever incorporate yourself into your characters?

Yes, Cassie is based on me at the start of the series. She becomes less like me as the series goes on though. A lot of my own experiences and feelings are all through my books.

Tell us about your covers. Do you design them yourself?

Most of my covers were designed by Delle Jacobs. Jimmy Thomas is the cover model on Book 1 and 3 and  I used a photo of my daughter (taken by photographer Gina Smyth) for book 2.

Does your reading inspire you and your work?

Definitely – I think reading helps a lot with the writing process. It is always interesting to see how other authors describe places and situations and how they make each scene interesting or exciting.

Where can we find you online?
 
Blog: http://thedreamseries-gladysquintal.blogspot.com
Book trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X42fSp_wPe0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGPCn5pH7U
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gladys-Quintal/293506287341938
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gladys-Quintal/e/B0066YIE52
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/GladysQ
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5234245.Gladys_Quintal



No comments:

Post a Comment