Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pelican Bay

Author: Jesse Giles Christiansen
Published: 20 July 2013
Genre: Mystery
Pinky's Rating (out of 5): 4.5 dragonflies

Book Description
After Ethan Hodges discovers an undersea cemetery just off the beach of Pelican Bay, South Carolina, he seeks answers from a grandfatherly fisherman named Captain Shelby. The captain wants the past to remain buried, and he warns Ethan to stay away. But Ethan doesn't listen.

Ethan's best friend and secret love interest, Morgan Olinsworth, joins in the investigation, unearthing intriguing secrets about the mysterious fisherman. When Captain Shelby is suspected of murder and disappears, a manhunt ensues, revealing a truth that unnerves everyone in Pelican Bay.

My Thoughts
When I started reading Pelican Bay, I found that while I was intrigued by the storyline, it took a while to get going.
 
I was pleased I stuck with it however, as about half way through, the pace picked up and I couldn't put it down.
 
I was drawn to the intense relationship between our lead characters, Ethan Hodges and Morgan Olinsworth, and the special bond they both share with the mysterious Captain Shelby.
 
Now I must admit, that at about the halfway point I was finding myself trying to guess just who Captain Shelby was or more importantly is. However, it was not until the end when all is revealed about this mysterious old man of the sea that I realised just how wrong my attempts to unravel the mystery were!
 
Jesse Giles Christiansen has done a marvellous job building the suspense and intrigue in Pelican Bay. The characters have warmth, depth and a charm that will leave you wishing you were part of their small town yourself.
 
But along with this, there is a very strong message, about love, life and the fact that sometimes things just don't need to be explained.
 
Where to Buy
Amazon US

No comments:

Post a Comment