Saturday, March 29, 2014

Review - Trailer Trash, with a Girl's Name

Author: Stacey Roberts
Published: 28 February 2014
Pinky's Rating (out of 5): 5 dragongflies 

(actually 5 doesn't do it justice, but it's the top rating I have

Book Description
When the author was born, his mother did the unthinkable. She gave him a girl’s name—Stacey.

But Stacey’s name was just the first hurdle he’d face in his uphill climb from birth to manhood. He also had to deal with an entitled older brother, the hodgepodge of different men his mother was involved with, and the nomadic lifestyle he was forced to endure for five years. And to top it all off, his mother couldn’t cook a decent meal to save her life.

Trailer Trash, With a Girl’s Name is Stacey Roberts’ lighthearted, often hilarious account of growing up in an unstable household during the 1980s. Full of humor, history, and hope, it follows Stacey from the hospital room where he was born to the Winnebago that carried him across the country, filling in the gaps with a wit and humor that anyone with a dysfunctional family can appreciate.

So go ahead and start reading. Once you hop aboard the Winnebago with Stacey and his quirky family, you’ll find that you’re in for the ride or your life, where what you learn along the way is not only entertaining, but also enormously enriching.

My Thoughts
It took me just on a day read this book. Why I hear you ask, because while I would have loved to keep reading from start to finish, my boss said that he was paying me to do be there to work, not sit there and laugh riotously over the book I was reading. So, I had to put it down to work, and sleep, and for some reason the kids and husband kept wanting me to feed them (damn inconvenient if you ask me!) 

Yesterday morning I sent Stacey Robert's this message on Facebook:

I started Trailer Trash, With a Girl's Name last night. OMG I think I got about two pages in and had tears rolling down my face I was laughing so hard. About to board the train for my commute to work and don't know if I should continue reading. If what I've already read is anything to go by I could be rolling in the isle before we get to the next station!

His response

Risk it! My friend and humor guru Maura Stone almost got thrown off a bus for laughing too hard while reading Trailer Trash.  I'll send you extra copies for your next commute to pass around!  PS - I am very happy you like it. You made my day! 

Well, Mr Stacey Roberts, I did as you suggested and I did continue to read Trailer Trash on my morning commute to work. Do you know how hard it is to laugh without making a sound??? I was shaking so violently that I am sure the person I was sitting next to thought I was having some sort of epileptic fit !

Trailer Trash, With a Girl's Name is a beautifully written look at the life of a middle american family, and readers, I can pretty much guarantee that somebody in your family got sucked into a pyramid selling scheme at least once !

This is definitely one of the funniest books I have ever read. I don't normally give away spoilers, but I have to quote this one paragraph that had me laughing so hysterically that my kids thought I was having an asthma attack:


"My mother never even really explained why she named me Stacey. The closest I ever got to a reason was, "I thought you were gonna die.""


Now I am sure a lot of you are saying to yourselves, Pinky that isn't even remotely funny. Well let me tell you, it is the underlying theme throughout the whole story, and once you have read Trailer Trash, with a Girl's Name, you will understand just why I found myself with tears rolling and unable to catch my breath.






No comments:

Post a Comment