Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The White River Killer






Title: The White River Killer
Author: Stephen Wilson
Publisher: Stephen Wilson
File Size: 501 KB
Genre: Mystery

John Riley Hubbard is a young farmer and part-time reporter in a small southern town. After the body of an Arab college student is found near his home, Hubbard reluctantly agrees to cover the grisly story for the local paper. When he discovers there is a surprising link from this crime to his father’s unsolved murder, he becomes obsessed with uncovering the killer’s identity. Since he was a child, Hubbard has been haunted by nightmares and suspicions that his father’s killer may be the man closest to him – his wealthy uncle.

As his investigation progresses, he must face mounting threats from an unseen adversary and managed his growing attraction to Maria, a young Latino woman who might be part of the conspiracy.

The White River Killer is an exciting mixture of mystery, romance, and suspense.

For More Information


Book Excerpt:

IT WAS THE FLOWER GARDEN THAT DID MARIA IN. Hubbard agreed to till up his mother’s old flower garden that had gone to seed for a new garden. Maria, through Emily’s translation, had requested a fun summertime activity.

Emily was a born salesperson. “It will teach me responsibility if I water it every day. I need that bad.”

The flower garden was followed by an irrigation request for the home’s vegetable garden.

Neither of the planting activities was unusual for a farm. That’s not what drove Hubbard to act. What troubled Hubbard was that Emily now referred to them as Maria’s flower garden and Maria’s vegetables.

There was no time to waste. From his tractor, Hubbard called Mr. Carlos and told him that Maria wasn’t working out. After his obligation at the Tomato Festival, they had to find new work for her. Mr. Carlos didn’t understand the connection between Maria and the annual event, but he reluctantly agreed to look for a new opportunity for the girl.

Hubbard feared he would eventually screw up with her. She was always within arm’s reach and he was too damned attracted to her. Sometimes the pain of his growing desire made him feel like he was burning alive. It made him want to drink to deal with it. That’s why she had to go.
  
About the Author:

Stephen Wilson is an American author. His first book was Harvey Couch - An Entrepreneur Brings Electricy to Arkansas, published in 1986 by August House publishers. He also has won awards for his screenplays which have been presented by the Writer's Workshop program at the American Film Institute. His latest work, The White River Killer was developed as part of the Summer Words program at the Aspen Institute.

In addition to writing, he is a marketing and advertising professional.


His latest book is the mystery novel, The White River Killer.

For More Information

Meet the Author:

Where are you from originally?
Originally, I was born in Detroit, Michigan. I’ve spent most of my life in Arkansas.

Tell us your latest news?
My latest news is the completion of my new novel The White River Killer. It’s been a three year journey to completion.

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why?
It would have to be F.Scott Fitgerald and Ernest Hemmingway. The stories they could tell of Paris in the Twenties. Of course, I’d like to have them in the moment of time before they had their rather dramatic conflict of their later years.

What are your current projects?
Marketing my current book seems to take all my free time right now. But I have a sequel planned for The White River Killer and I’ve got an outline for a young adult novel about time travelling teens.

What books or authors have influenced your writing?
Well, I’m almost embarrassed to mention Fitgerald and Hemmingway in the same sentence as myself, but they are the gold standard for me.

Is there an author that you would really like to meet?
I already met him! The author Tom Wolfe –Bonfire of the Vanities, etc.

Tell us a little about your background. When did you start writing?
I’ve been a corporate writer for over 20 years. But through that time I’ve written screenplays, stage plays, and a biography.

Where do you get your ideas?

I find that my best ideas come from some incident in my life that still resonates with me. I take that event, change it, enhance it, flip it and turn it into something more dramatic –hopefully making a good story.

Are any of your characters based on real-life friends or acquaintances?
You bet! I take people I’ve known through the years, give them a few new attributes to make them suitable for the story. I’m pretty good with dialog and I find that having a real person in mind helps me to utilize their unique speech patterns and manner of phrasing that helps me keep the character consistent all through the book.

Do you ever incorporate yourself into your characters?
Not directly, but the main character in my book has my own speech patterns and (in general) matches my general outlook on life.

Tell us about your cover. Did you design it yourself? If so, where did you get the inspiration for it?
I found the cover photo on IStockphoto and then hired a graphic artist to do the associated title graphics on the book. I was really pleased how it turned out.


Ok, now some fun questions….

Coffee or Tea?
I love hot tea.

White Chocolate, Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate?
Dark chocolate, always.

What is your favourite colour?
Black. Most of my clothes are black or grey. Hmmm, does that say something about me?

Winter or Summer?
Summer. I would love to live in an area of perpetual summer (perhaps a little more temperate than an Arkansas summer).

If you could have one superpower what would it be?
Superwriting. A completed book every week!

If you could be somebody else for a day who would you choose and why?

I really don’t know. The fantasy is that you could live a glamorous life, but you never know what troubles somelse has. I also would hate the feeling of being an imposter – even for a day.

What are three things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
That’s a tough one since those are the things I always grab going out the door. I guess it would be more internal. An idea of what I want to accomplish today, the things necessary to do that, an a plan for how I can fit some exercise or fun into my schedule for the day.

Are you a technology buff (i.e have every electronic gadget known to man)?
Nope. I wish it would all just work as advertised.

What is a movie or TV show that you watched just recently and enjoyed?
The animated movie Inside Out, it was a great movie, but I think it is better suited for an older audience than children.

No comments:

Post a Comment