Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Meet Candace Blevins


Tell us your latest news?

The third book of the Bash Trilogy is out, and those who’ve been waiting until they can read all three books at once can at last begin Bash’s story. I’ve had so much fun writing my biker werewolves, and I jumped all the way into the whole anti-hero thing with Bash. I’m excited to finally be able to share the whole story.

If you could have a dinner party with any authors from any time in history, who would you choose and why? 

Johnny Gruelle and J.R.R. Tolkien, for sure. Once I started planning the party I know I’d think of more, but these two authors gave me my love for urban fantasy. But, you argue, The Lord of the Rings isn’t urban fantasy, it’s a theoretical history of Middle Earth. And I will argue back that by creating the really long song that totally explains the origin of the “cow jumped over the moon / dish ran away with the spoon” nursery rhyme, Mr. Tolkien brought his world into my life, personally, and made it real. Yes, some trees really are jealous of the people who can walk, and they really do trip you with their roots at night in the dark — or during the day when you look away as you walk over the roots you just looked at. And yes, there were once elves and other magical creatures here, but they left. He totally sold me on the fantasy.

And Johnny Gruelle — what can I say about his genius? His Raggedy Ann books were the ultimate urban fantasy for little kids. Never-ending soda fountains? The Camel with the Wrinkled Knees? I was fortunate to be able to have a several-hours long conversation with Kim Gruelle (his grandson) shortly after I met my husband, and I learned much about Johnny Gruelle’s personal beliefs, and how he wrote them into the books. Odd, that by the time I was in my younger thirties I’d developed many of the same beliefs.  (And my future husband got to see just how geeky I was when I talked about books as if the characters truly exist. Which, if the author is as skilled as Johnny Gruelle, they truly do.)



I still own every Raggedy Ann book from my childhood, and they are still very cherished. Unfortunately, when I tried to share my favorite books with my children when they were younger, they never liked them. I was so disappointed. They don’t like The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, either. What do they know?

What books or authors have influenced your writing?

Obviously, Johnny Gruelle and J.R.R. Tolkien, but also Anne Rice (in all of her pseudonyms), Jeaniene Frost, the writing team of Ilona Andrews, and I have to mention Seanan McGuire and the way she brought her version of The Summerlands to life. And then we get to kink, which brings us to Molly Weatherfield, Annabel Joseph, Joey W. Hill, John Preston, and of course Pauline Réage.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I’ve been fortunate to have met so many of my favorite authors already. And for many of them it wasn’t just a simple introduction and conversation, but evolved (or perhaps devolved) into us getting drunk and partying together. One of them even gave me a yummy spanking, but perhaps I won’t name names for that particular escapade.
To answer your question about who I’d like to meet, though I would love to be able to hike through the woods of Cashiers, NC with Johnny Gruelle, but that can’t happen. As for living authors? Gordon and Ilona of the Ilona Andrews writing team seem like people I’d like, if I met them in real life. Also, Seanan McGuire, Faith Hunter… I really have too many favorite authors to start listing them.

Tell us a little about your background. When did you start writing?

I’ve written all my life without finishing what I started. I’d always go back and start editing, get disheartened, and then never finish the book. NaNoWriMo’s instructions are to just write. You don’t look at what you’ve written until you finish. November is for writing, December is for editing — these instructions helped me finally finish my first book about ten or twelve years ago. It was crap and will never be published, but once I’d finished one, I could finish another. And another. And another. Eventually, I had something I thought was good enough to take to some publishers, and the rest is history.

Thanks so much for having me today! If readers want to learn more about my werewolf bikers, or about any of the other books in my paranormal universe, they can go to http://www.candaceblevins.com/kirsten-osheas-universe/


No comments:

Post a Comment